Friday, January 27, 2012

Interview with Linda David!

The Firestone CrystalLinda David



                                                                       Bio
My name is Linda David and this is my first children's book. I am a single mother of two and currently work as a college lecturer in Childcare. I was born in Cyprus in 1967 to parents who both hail from the Caribbean island of Nevis, and   have also lived in Germany as well as St Kitts and Nevis in the West Indies.
The idea for this book came about about 10 years ago when I was on maternity leave and needed something to do to fill my time.  It started off as a short story that I would be able to read to my children when they were older and it just continued to grow as I continued to add a chapter here and there as the years went by.
I have always enjoyed reading and was encouraged to do so from a very early age, and that is partly what inspired me to write. Even today I can remember the excitement and wonder I used to experience as a child when reading fantasy and adventure stories, so I hope that through my own writing, I will be able to inspire and encourage other children's interest and pleasure in reading as well.
I hope you enjoy reading my book as much as I enjoyed writing it.
                                                 Bio provided by author's site.

It has been a great pleasure to interview Linda and find out more about her and her story. With Linda, as it is with most authors, they have a love for reading. Whether it be from the time they could pick up a book or later in life when they discovered the joys of reading. So sit back and get comfortable with your favorite warm beverage and please give a most warm welcome to Linda David!

1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration for my story (right now there's only the one!) came about because I know the kind of books I used to love as a child (mostly Enid Blyton stuff) and I tried to imagine the kind of book I would like to read now if I was a child. Fantasy fiction has always been a favourite of mine, so I've always heard people say 'write what you know' so I decided to write a story about a character loosely based on myself as a child and the kind of adventures I would have loved to have had as a child, if that makes sense. I was the kind of child who would try to stay up to see if my toys came alive or searched in vain for fairy rings in the garden, so a story about actually visiting another planet and having alien friends, seemed an ideal choice (I'm also very into Star Trek, Stargate, etc!)
2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
I'm a 'free writer' and yes, I find that the story does unfold as it goes along. Once I've got a main character to work with, the story builds around them. I might have a main idea for a plot or storyline, but how and when I get to it is never set in stone. I work towards it and it eventually falls into place.
3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
I prefer to write when inspired as it makes the writing more authentic and not 'forced' as it were. I have to admit I get most of my ideas when I'm relaxing in a hot bath, but as long as I scribble them down as soon as I get out, I'm fine. I also wake up in the morning with ideas spilling out of my head and have to make sure my notepad is always available. If I don't jot it down straight away, it usually disappears. I'd love to be able to write every day, but having a full-time job does not make it easy. I write during holidays and at weekends mostly when I can write uninterrupted.
4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?
My favourite author has to be Stephen King - I've been reading his books for years and years and he never stops suprising me. My favourite book is The Stand, and my favourite series is The Dark Tower. He's a amazing writer, however, my inspiration for writing is actually J K Rowling, possibly because we write for the same genre and definitely because I identify with her back story - single mother, teacher, etc, etc.
I love writing, period - devising and developing the plot, the characters, revising and reviewing the story, adding bits, cutting bits out, reading an re-reading to see if the improvements are working...I could go on and on. If there was a part I didn't like, it would be proof-reading! No matter how many times you go through your work, there will always be something you missed. That's why it's important to get someone else to proof-read for you.
6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?
I'm currently re-reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I read all my books many times over and usually discover something new each time that I may have overlooked or missed, or make a connection or reach a new understanding on a certain point.
7.     What inspired you to write in this style? Is there personal life experience in the writing?
The main character in my book as I said, is loosely based on myself as a child (some might even say there are still some similarities!) though I hope I've grown out of most of it. My sister also says the character sounds exactly like her. Of course, I've never actually been to another planet (!) so the only other similarity with my life is the fact that my family do come from Nevis in the West Indies. I will actually try to incorporate more of that in my next book.
8. Your books have been published with Kindle Direct Publishing, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?

I published on Kindle because having done the rounds of mainstream publishers and agents, and in some cases, getting some positive feedback, I joined several writers websites where the general concensus seemed to be that e-books were probably the future and that there was a whole untapped market of people that were looking for my kind of writing, and the fact that a particular publisher or agent didn't feel they could make any money from your book didn't mean that it wasn't something that people didn't want to read. I did very well from a 3-day free promotion and will soon be publishing in paperback as a print-on-demand book. 
 9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
I have a website with my sister who also writes as follows: http://www.eternalrainbows.moonfruit.com.
10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
I am currently working on a sequel to The Firestone Crystal which follows the main character, Agathea Fulstropp through more adventures on Planet Aruuliah. Since this is the kind of book I enjoy reading as well as writing, I'll stick with it for the time being, and if and when something else takes my fancy, I'll write about that.

11. Who would be your first choice to play Agathea Fulstropp  from your book The Firestone Crystal?
I have absolutely no idea - I haven't thought that far ahead, but I'd probably follow J K Rowling's example and give an unknown actor/actress a chance. It's all about providing opportunities to people who wouldn't ordinarily get them, so I'd love to be able to do that for someone.
12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
My dream has always been to meet Oprah Winfrey, another person who inspires me every day. I would ask her how she knew she was on the right path prior to her fame and who or what inspired her to keep going. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!