Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Our Interview with Joseph Rubas!

                                       Pocketful of Fear

                                                       Bio

Joseph Rubas is the author of more than 150 short stories and a novel. He currently lives in Virginia with his family. To find out more about him, “like” him on Facebook at Joseph Rubas: Horror Writer http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joseph-Rubas-Horror-Writer/201437026565659?ref=ts

                                      Bio provided by author

It was our pleasure to get to know more about Joseph and how he came to write in the horror fiction genre.  Joseph has a love of writing that shows in his many stories. So get comfortable and please give a warm welcome to Joseph!

1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration comes from everywhere. On good days, I can’t walk down the street without twenty good story ideas smacking me in the head.
2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
I’m very disorganized when it comes to writing. My desk looks like New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina: papers, pens, books, manuscripts, cigarette ash, empty soda cans. I do jot down notes, mainly ideas for future stories, but I always end up losing them.
3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
I try to write something each day. If I can’t write, I edit something. I always have to be working, in other words.
4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
Nowadays, my favorite author would have to be Dean Koontz. He inspires me by making me jealous of his talent.
5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?
I don’t like formatting my stories for submission. Double-spaced this, page number that, name/title on each page….I dread doing that. It just takes so long.
6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?
I steal the occasional quiet moment here and there. Right now, I’m reading an old, obscure collection of supernatural stories, my favorite kind.
7. How did you get started in writing in the supernatural horror genre? Is there personal life experience in the writing?
I’ve always been surrounded by terror and the supernatural. I grew up watching 80s slasher flicks, and at the same time living with a father who liked to scare the shit out of me whenever he got the chance. I’ve always loved horror, no matter what packaging it comes in.
8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?
Not all of it, no. There will probably always be the big, physical publishing houses, but online publishing certainly allows a larger number of writers to market and sell their work than there would be otherwise.
9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
Just my Facebook page at the moment. Joseph Rubas: Horror Writer.
10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
I haven’t written many new stories this year, actually. I’ve been busy with promoting my collection, editing anthologies, and polishing off my novel “Dracula: 1912.” When I do begin to compose new material, I think I want to write something long, involved, and apocalyptic.
11. Who would be your first choice to play Adolf Hitler from your story "The End" from your book of "Pocket Full of Fear"?
Wow. I didn’t expect this. Let me think for a minute. Probably David Bamber from Valkyrie. He makes an impressive Hitler.
12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
The Captain of the Titanic, Edward John Smith. No one really knows what happened to him that night; some say he sank with the ship, others that he shot himself, others still that he froze in the water long after the ship sank. If I could meet him, I’d ask, “So…what did happen to you?”


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!