Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our Interview with Jennifer Marko!

My Photo                                  Loveless

                                                            Bio

My name is Jennifer, I'm from Ontario, Canada and I'm a 2008 graduate of the Conestoga College print-journalism program, but my dream has always been to become a published novelist. Well, I've managed to accomplish that since self-publishing my first novel, Loveless, onto Amazon for the Kindle and Kindle app. I began writing childrens' books at the age of twelve and progressed to young adult horror novels at eighteen. I live with my wonderful fiance and our adorable kitten Pom-pom. I hope to one day be offered a contract with a major publishing house. Here's hoping!

                                   Bio provided by Author

We had the pleasure of interviewing Jennifer and learning about her process to becoming a published author. Jennifer is one who has had a love of writing from the time she was young. Please sit back, get comfortable, and give a warm welcome to Jennifer!

1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
 I get my inspiration partly from my life and partly from my overactive imagination. I like to put a little mix of people I know into my characters and sometimes I’ll see a building or a place, or hear someone say something that will send my mind in so many different directions, but will ultimately result in an idea for a story. For instance, the town of Loveless comes from the woods in the middle of my city. There are a bunch of buildings just inside the woods that are now used for educational purposes, but I’ve always wondered if they were part of some small town a hundred years ago.
2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
 I have several notebooks full of story ideas. I like to write out the plot in detail and all my characters as well. They basically serve as a reference point if I ever get stuck while I’m writing. It helps me to know every little thing about the people I’m writing about.
3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
 It varies. There are weeks when I’ll set up a schedule and commit myself to write one chapter each day or sometimes I’ll disregard the schedule and decide to write when I get inspired and that usually leaves me writing for an entire day because I just can’t stop, I’ve got too much swimming around in my head.
4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
 I’ve always loved Edgar Allan Poe. He is so descriptive that I can literally play the story out in my head as I read. He’s been my biggest inspiration. Not only can he scare your pants off, but he leaves you wanting more.
5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?
 I hate editing with a fiery passion. I’m my own worst critic and I always have trouble seeing the errors in my writing. For example, I was in love with the preface in ‘Loveless’, however, I had someone else read my book and they told me that it didn’t flow, but the writing was good. I’ve always thought of this book as my baby because it’s my first novel, but after looking at their suggestions I was able to tweak it and it now reads much better.

6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?
 I do. Every night before I go to bed I pull out a book. I’ve just started reading‘Witch Season: Summer & Fall’ by Jeff Mariotte. Even though I’ve just started I’ve already been pulled in.
7. How did you get started in writing in the horror mystery genre?
 I used to write childrens’ books and when I was in my last year of high school I was in a creative writing class. This is where I decided to try writing a novella as my final project. While I was thinking of what to write, I thought it would be kind of cool to try something I’ve never written about before –writing horror. To my surprise (and my family’s surprise) I was really good at it. If I remember correctly, my mom was shocked that I had those kinds of thoughts in my head.
8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?
 That’s always been my dream! My parents will tell you I’ve been talking about being published since I was thirteen or younger.
9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
 I have a blog, http://jenspurplepen.blogspot.comwhere I recently posted the first chapter of my new novel, ‘Mafiette’ for everyone to read and I’m currently working on getting a website up and running.
10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
 Like I said before I’m working on a new novel called, ‘Mafiette’, about an all-female mafia terrorizing New York City. As for the future, you’ll have to wait and see!
11. Who would be your first choice to play Chelsea Hawks from your book "Loveless"?
 That’s definitely Emma Roberts, no question about it! She looks like how I imagined Chelsea to be and she’s really good in the horror genre.
12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
 I would like to meet Edgar Allan Poe and find out how he came up with his ideas. I’d also like to ask him how it feels to be the inspiration of other great authors, such as Arthur Conan Doyle and Jules Verne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!