Monday, February 6, 2012

Our interview with Marc Cutler!

                                                                       
Finnigan's Point










                                                                       
                                                                          Bio

I'm 35 years old and live in North Shoeburyness, England. I am married with two children and currently work as a finance controller for a property Management company. I've worked as a finance controller for 16 years now.
I've been writing since I was a teenager but more seriously in the past 8 years. I've written a number of short stories and a copious amount of poetry. I've completed two screenplays also, one of which the BBC were considering optioning a couple of years ago.
I have completed my 2nd novel and am now working on my 3rd.
                                                         Bio provided by Author
We were pleased to get a chance to interview Marc and get to know a bit more about him. Marc is a hardworking, serious writer. His love of the written word is evident in his numerous publishings. So sit back and grab a warm cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy the interview. Please give a warm welcome to Marc!

1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
 A number of things have inspired me. Reading stories as a teenager and being taken 'elsewhere' was a large factor. I was and am a big fan of 'The Twilight Zone' and love the way those episodes would generally mess with your mind on a routine basis! I wanted to do that growing up, write stories that were different and less formulaic and have written a number of short stories in that vein.
2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go? 
 I like to think I am organized. When I have an idea I think I can run with I go through a number of processes. I'll start by writing a brief synopsis and then list in stages where I want the book to go (it rarely goes where I expect it to but it gives me a template). I'll then list key characters, although again they are open to change. Generally the notes and ideas form a rough sketch of what I am intending to be the finished article.
3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
I work a fifty hour week and have two children so writing to schedule is difficult but I do try. When I'm taken by a particular idea I try and ensure I write for at least an hour every evening and the majority of my lunch hours as well. I tend to put some 'thunderstorms' on my IPod and block everybody out!
4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
Stephen King has always been my favourite author. I love the way he can write something so captivating in different genre's. It frustrates me somewhat he is referred to as a horror writer when he has been responsible for a much wider range of output.
5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like? 
 I love writing, it's a perfect escape. What I find most frustrating is trying to find a literary agent who will even entertain reading something, let alone a Publisher!
6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now? 
 Oddly enough, I rarely read now and when I do, it's generally non fiction. I'm a fan of Biographies and am currently reading Michael J Fox's
7. How did you get started on writing in the Thriller & Mystery genre? Is there personal life experience in the writing? 
To be honest, I'm not going to deliberately pigeon hole myself in a particular genre, although Mystery and Thriller isn't a bad one to get stuck in! I tend to veer towards whatever is in my head at that moment. I'd like to write a genuinely scary horror story at some point. Whilst nothing I write is inspired by my life especially (it would be incredibly boring if it were!) I have drawn on a few of my experiences and included them in works previously, including Finnigan's Point.
8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?
I like nothing better than reading a physical book but it's a sign of the times that electronic books are likely to become the popular format. As with music, it's more convenient to put everything on one device. It's a shame really but I don't think there is any avoiding it.
9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings? I've just signed up to Smashwords but at present Amazon is my main focal point, due to its universal appeal.
10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
I've recently finished writing my second novel, it is entitled 'Choicemaker'. It is a crime thriller. I'm again looking for an agent/publisher but failing that will publish via Amazon later in the year. I have also begun work on my 3rd novel which is provisionally entitled 'The Macguffin' and is on target to be completed before the summer. I have also been making notes on a 4th novel which I hope to have completed before the end of 2012 if all goes to plan.
11. Who would be your first choice to play Detective Terence Kane in your book "Finnigan's Point"?
That's a good question! To be honest I'd be overwhelmed if it ever got that far but if that did happen, then I'd have to say Tom Hardy.
12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question? 
 In keeping with the trend of the previous questions, then Stephen King. The question would be 'Where on earth do you get those wonderful stories?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!